Re: Improving the Octave website look

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Improving the Octave website look
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:31:20 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 28-Jun-2006, Trond Varslot wrote:

| It would look better, however, if the heading, as well as the navigation | table would stay put when scrolling, i.e. only scrolling the actual page | content. Would it be possible to have a floating heading too?

You mean by putting the text for the body of the page in a separate
frame, for example?  Maybe that would work, but I think it would be
best to keep the pages relatively simple.

I'm more concerned about content rather than page layout.  For
example, look at the current gcc.gnu.org main page.  The navigation
table there has direct links to important sections of the manual, how
to access the SVN archive, and clear links to bug reporting.  I think
we could use some of the same.  We don't have some of the information
in a convenient form (or at all) yet though, so fixing this requires
more than just adding a link or two.  For example, we could use a
document about "how to contribute" and maybe the bugs page needs some
updating.  For example, emphasizing that the help list is the wrong
place to report a bug, and that it is better to just report a problem
(with sufficient detail so that someone can duplicate it) rather than
ask "have I found a bug?".

I agree with John that having more links in the navigation bar is good, but let me point out that a floating navigation bar only works when it doesn't have many entries. If the bar is long, it can get taller than the browser window and make it impossible to see the whole thing, in which case it would be better to go back to a fixed navigation bar.

Quentin