Re: 2.9.7?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 2.9.7?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 12:57:53 -0400

On 27-Jul-2006, I wroe:

| I also just rememebered that I should try to add a warning for
| assignment to variables that were previously built in, so we can
| (maybe) avoid a lot of cries for help over why LOADPATH no longer
| works.

After giving this some more thought, I don't see a good way to do it
without adding overhead to every single variable assignment.  So I'm
not sure whether it is worth doing.  For now, I'm skipping it.

| Also, maybe a warning that a trailing "//" is no longer special in
| search path elements.

This is done.

| I think there may also be a few small pending patches or bug reports.

There are still a few more, but I don't think they are terribly
important, so they can be left for 2.9.8.