Re: Octave 2.9.7 available for ftp

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.7 available for ftp
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:20:37 -0400

On 28-Jul-2006, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > Octave 2.9.7 is now available for ftp from ftp.octave.org in the
| > directory /pub/octave/bleeding-edge:
| >

| I've got a bug (already) and a question. The bug is a small one in the
| texinfo help in mex.m that creates an error when you type "help
| mex".

OK, I fixed this.

| The question is regarding the mex implementation in octave-forge. Does
| the new mex stuff you included in this release basically supersede what
| ever was in octave-forge?

Yes.  What is in Octave now is much more complete that what was in
Octave Forge.

| Also, is there any reason not to include a mex shell script like the one
| that octave-forge has?

We could use a script that is compatible with the Matlab mex script
interface, but the one that is in Octave Forge is not really
appropriate now since the method of looking up MEX files has changed.
Now "mkoctfile --mex foo.c" creates foo.mex and Octave knows how to
find those files.

It would be nice if the mex script could be a wrapper around
mkoctfile --mex.  Any useful features that are not yet present in
mkoctfile could be added there rather than just having them in the mex
script.  Then the mex script would just have to translate options and
invoke "mkoctfile --mex ...".  It would also be nice if someone could
submit a patch for this.  :-)

Thanks,