Re: PKG wishlist

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: PKG wishlist
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 22:41:08 +0200

Hi,
  First I must apologize for this late reply, but things have been
really crazy in the real life.

fre, 25 08 2006 kl. 17:20 +0200, skrev David Bateman:
> Can and should we change the package manager to enforce that the name of
> the package corresponds to the file name? This would be easy to enforce
> in pkg.m, and not more harder in octave-forge to build the package from
> DESCRIPTON(name:) rather than the directory name.
This makes perfect sense to me, and the code looks good. Thanks for
doing this.

fre, 25 08 2006 kl. 14:49 +0200, skrev David Bateman:
> I'd like to propose the following modifications to the package manager
> in 2.9.8. Basically the changes are
>
> 1) Treat both PKG_ADD and PKG_DEL files. If the created PKG_* file is
> empty remove it
Great!

> 2) If for some reason the directory for the package that is created is
> empty, then remove the package. This allows system specific packages (eg
> MacOSX) to attempt to be installed on other architecture fail gracefully.
Seems kinda like a hack to me, but since I don't have a better solution,
I can't really complain :-)

> 3) Treat bin/ directories in the package, copying them the the package
> directory, and adding them to the EXEC_PATH when the package is loaded
>
> 4) Install any doc/ directory with the package itself.
Great, I simply forgot those when I started on the package manager.
Thanks for fixing this.

Once again, I apologize for being so late in my reply. And I must say
thank you for working on these issues. I just hope the code isn't to
hard to work on... :-)

Søren