Re: how can I display the doc message from a command?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: how can I display the doc message from a command?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:57:19 +0200

Andrea Latina wrote:
> Well, this print_usage() function seems to be exactly what I was
> looking for. You are right, printing a short help message makes much
> more sense than printing a page full of text.
> I've already modified my code to use it.
> Thank you very much again,
> Andrea
>
> P.S. Yes, I'm consulting www.octave.org very often in the last times.
> That page is an irreplaceable and precious source of information,
> indeed. Nevertheless I could not find anything like, for example, the
> GSL on-line manual:
>
> (see http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/ )
>
> where all its functions are catalogued and documented.
Try

http://octave.sourceforge.net/index/index.html

for the user visible functions. Its a bit dated (8 months I think) and
will shortly undergo major changes for the new package manager, but is
still valuable.

> A couple of days ago, for instance, I had an hard time to find the
> octave internal random number generator and how it works.  After a
> while I finally found 'liboctave/oct-rand.h' with 'class octave_rand'
> and its static members and everything went fine, but the point is:
> Searching for what I need into the code it is not difficult but I
> wonder how many useful and powerful functions exist, of which I don't
> even know the existence...
This however you won't find. Ask on the list as main users have the sort
of information you are looking for, even if its not documented.

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary