Re: Bug with pkg if only a single file is installed

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Bug with pkg if only a single file is installed
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:11:07 +0200

tor, 14 09 2006 kl. 22:27 +0200, skrev David Bateman:
> We need to make the right compromise between clarity, maintainability
> and simplicity, so I think getting this one right it might be better to
> get others thoughts. Do the R packages have an automatic RPM and DEB
> build process if so they must have already dealt with this and so
> perhaps we should be inspired by their solution?
Good point. A quick googling gave me this link:
http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/Conferences/useR-2004/abstracts/Eddelbuettel
+Bates+Gebhardt.pdf#search=%22debian%20R%20project%22
which is a short story about R on Debian. It gives two links
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/suse/build-R-contrib-rpms.pl
http://www.math.uni-klu.ac.at/~agebhard/build-R-contrib-debs.pl
to scripts for creating .rpm and .deb files from R packages. I've only
had a quick look at this, but it seems that for debian they do ($bdps =
build dependencies):

$bdps="";
        foreach $dep (@{$packages->{$package}{'debianbuilddependencies'}
}) {
          $bdps = $bdps . ", " . $dep;
          system("ssh -l root -A localhost \"PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:\$PATH
apt-get install $dep\"");
        }

which I read as (I'm not a perl hacker) they have a field called
"debianbuilddependencies".

I can't really figure out what the .rpm creation script does.

Søren