moving toward a 3.0 release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: moving toward a 3.0 release
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:59:05 -0400

At the meeting in April I think we all agreed that we should release
3.0 soon.  I know there may be a few bugs remaining but I think that
the current 2.9.x is such a big improvement over 2.1.x that we should
start the process of releasing 3.0.  To do that I propose that we

  Make a 2.9.9 snapshot and label it as the "testing" version on the
  download page.

  Move 2.1.73 to the "stable" category on the download page.

  Aim for bug fixes and improvements in the documentation only for
  2.9.x until 3.0 is released.  This feature freeze applies primarily
  to the core Octave interpreter.  I would still consider new
  functions or compatibility fixes.

Comments?