Re: moving toward a 3.0 release

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:31:18 -0400

John W. Eaton wrote:
I'll get right on that.  I think I can be done by later today.

Seriously, you must know that this is a large project for which most
of us here have no knowledge of how to proceed.  If people expect
something like this, then I think they need to start thinking about
real ways to find funding for such a project, along with finding some
people who are actually capable of doing the work.
John,

I know that this is a huge task. I'm guessing that anyone who reads the maintainers list knows that it is a huge task.

While I know that many people out here don't have money to give, there are a larger number of people who do have time to give, and this is one of the major things that keeps people away from Octave. While Tom's solution of throwing 128 CPUs at the problem would be great for some problems, it's not possible for everyone, and even if it were, having a faster interpreter would speed even the 128 CPU clusters.

What I think would be most beneficial toward getting this running would be the work on the manual and source for 3.0. I agree with Tom and you that speeding up the interpreter is a 3.0 issue. What I would like to see by 3.0 is better code documentation and documentation on how to write both .oct files and docs on how to modify the octave internals. I think that finding people who are capable of doing the work would be easier with better documented source. I know that most people (Soren excepted) writing documentation is not fun, but it keeps code maintainable and usable in the future.

Bill