Re: moving toward a 3.0 release

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:56:56 -0600

on 9/29/06 1:53 AM, David Bateman at address@hidden wrote:

> Thanks for the ideas Joe, I think I'll definitely try the -r8 option and
> see if it help..

One more comment, and then I'll shut up.

With old code, which this probably isn't, the old Fortran practice of
relying on variables being unchanged when you reenter to a subroutine can
bite you. I think the g77 flag for saving all variables is -fno-automatic,
but just placing a blanket SAVE instead of a SAVE j,etc. in the code can
give the same effect. Not an efficient or elegant solution, but it often
works. We resorted to that fix in one routine of our local CFD code, when,
after much head scratching, we couldn't figure out which variable wasn't
being properly SAVEd.

Joe