Re: moving toward a 3.0 release

From: Tom Holroyd (NIH/NIMH) [E]
Subject: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:34:54 -0400

I ran some loop heavy code on a Pentium 3 windows matlab, and it was hundreds of times faster than running the same code on a Dual processor hyper threaded Xeon box running linux and octave, (something that took a ~3 minutes on the windows/matlab/P3 box, still hadn't finished after 20 hours on the Dual processor 3ghz Xeons, I had to kill the job before finding out the final time it would have taken to complete) Even 128 CPUs wouldn't have made the cut.

I bet it wasn't the loops. Probably there was something else in there; I had
something similar once and it turned out to be an .m file vs C code. When
things are hundreds of times slower it's nothing to do with the box it's that
some of the code you're running is interpreted.

--
Tom Holroyd, Ph.D.
We experience the world not as it is, but as we expect it to be.