Huffman Coding routines, Re: Octave-Forge, Source coding: Tunstall code,

From: Muthiah Annamalai
Subject: Huffman Coding routines, Re: Octave-Forge, Source coding: Tunstall code, Huffman code
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 02:14:25 -0500

Hello there,
I added the Huffman coding routines in Octave-forge, on the lines of
the 'other-leading-brand' with 2 features that allow for variations
in code generation including minimum variation option.

3 functions:
1. huffmandict,
http://octave.cvs.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge/main/comm/inst/huffmandict.m?revision=1.1&view=markup
2. huffmanenco,
http://octave.cvs.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge/main/comm/inst/huffmanenco.m?revision=1.1&view=markup
3. huffmandeco,
http://octave.cvs.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge/main/comm/inst/huffmandeco.m?revision=1.1&view=markup

You can check the code in the latest Octave-forge CVS, and if possible
do some testing. AFAIK its all ok, but the speed is not really nice.
Especially the dict and deco methods, if someone has time and energy
to read and code the O(N*log(N)) dict & deco routines, it will be just
amazing. Till then we all need to live in O(k.N^2) and O(N^3) times ;-(

For someone who has the time useful pointers are:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?isnumber=30738&arnumber=1423737&count=169&index=103
and http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/software/AlgAnim/huffman.html

Cheers
Muthu