Re: code reuse (was: Re: graphics issues (was: Re: ...))

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: code reuse (was: Re: graphics issues (was: Re: ...))
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2006 11:06:20 -0400

On  1-Oct-2006, Sebastien Loisel wrote:

| > So where to you draw the
| > line?
|

| I'm not so sure this is such an interesting conversation to be having, but
| like you said, I won't reimplement fread, nor will I reimplement OpenGL,
| GL2PS, QT or GTK+.
|
| Tick marks? Come on.

Is automatic placement of tic marks along with labels really a trivial
problem, say for 3D graphics, or when you may want to display the
graphs at various sizes for different output devices?  I find that
whent the font size changes, or the graph shrinks, most plotting
packages end up doing things like smashing the labels over one
another, which seems like a bad feature to have.  So it seems that
this is perhaps not so easy to solve.

Would you also say that DDOT, DASUM, DAXPY, DGEMV, DGEMM, etc. are
pointless functions to have?  I mean, shouldn't we all just be writing
these things in line in our code since they are, at least a first
glance, trivial?