graphics issues

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: graphics issues
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:04:01 -0400

On  3-Oct-2006, address@hidden wrote:

| Hi all
|
| The last some days, I've read the discussion about graphics
| issues...
| maybe this can help:
| http://users.physik.tu-muenchen.
| de/gammel/matpack/html/matpack_frame.html
|
| matpack includes a 2d/3d graphics-engine...
| but I haven't time to have a look on it...

Interesting note on the copyright terms page:

  Distribution

  You are encouraged to redistribute Matpack under the GNU General
  Public License, but you should REFRAIN FROM DISTRIBUTING MODIFIED
  VERSIONS of the library. This is especially important for numerical
  algorithms, library interfaces and for tools. Experience shows that
  hot `bug fixes' and `improvements' often have severe side effects or
  implications for correctness and integrity in circumstances other
  users may rely on. If you have bug fixes, improvements, new
  algorithms, or updates for the online documentation, please send your
  suggestion to the author. I will include bug fixes and contributions
  in the next Matpack distribution.

Hmm.  GPL, but "refrain from distributing modified versions" (the
all-caps emphasis is there in the original)?  It also has non-free
documentation, and the author seems to confuse "commercial" with
"proprietary".  The source files also include comments like

  Note that distributing Matpack 'bundled' in with any product is
  considered to be a 'commercial purpose'.

  The software may be modified for your own purposes, but modified
  versions may not be distributed without prior consent of the author.

So I guess it is not really GPL.