Re: Test web-site of new octave-forge web-site including all packages

From: Rafael Laboissiere
Subject: Re: Test web-site of new octave-forge web-site including all packages
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:36:38 +0200

* John W. Eaton <address@hidden> [2006-10-10 13:39]:

> What should we do about the "nonfree" packages?

I am the author of the GPC (General Polygon Clipping) pacakge.  Could you
please clarify some points:

> The parts that are actually linked with Octave and have a non-free license
> can't be included in binary packages of Octave,

What do you mean exactly by "actually linked with Octave" and "included in
binary packages of Octave".

> and I belive that distributing them as source files and asking the user to
> do the link could be considered contributory infringement of the GPL.

The code of the GPC Octave bindings is actually released under the GPL.
However, it links against the GPC library which is non-free or, at least,
has a license incompatible with Octave.  Is that a problem?

--
Rafael