Re: [OctDev] Test web-site of new octave-forge web-site including all pa

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Test web-site of new octave-forge web-site including all packages
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:34:07 +0200

Paul Kienzle wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2006, at 12:43 PM, David Bateman wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> If you'd like to see what Soren and I have been working on for
>> octave-forge and the package manager, please look at the test website
>> http://octave.dbateman.org I'm hosting on my home machine. This is a
>> fully functional version of what Soren and I propose to be used for the
>> new octave-forge web site and is heavily based on the current octave
>> style, with a couple of limitations imposed by our automatic build (no
>> grayed right justified nav menu for the current item).
>
> Nice work David and Soren!!!
>
> Two quick comments:
>
> 1) Does the package system allow for one more level of categorization
> so the e.g., all image related packages can be listed together?
> One package might be present in multiple categories.
Yes this is possible, if the author writes their own INDEX file rather
than having it created automatically. I suspect, though Soren should
confirm as he wrote this part, the link from the package page to the
function reference might be fragile in this case as it is based on the
directory name and not the category in the INDEX. If so this should be
fixed. It would be an interesting experiment to try and see what happened.

> 2) Does the package system have a one paragraph description for
> the package that you could show in the detail box?
Yes. This is the "Description:" field in the DESCRIPTION file. The text
can be as long as you like, where continuation lines start with a
whitespace..

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information