Re: [OctDev] Test web-site of new octave-forge web-site including all pa

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Test web-site of new octave-forge web-site including all packages
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:22:20 -0600

On 10/12/06, Joe Koski <address@hidden> wrote:

> AFAIK, there is no uniform license requirement for code to be included
> in the netlib collection..
>
> | Could it be that gcvspl
> | licensing has changed since it entered octave-forge?
>
> Yes, it is possible.  Does anyone know precisely what the license is?
>
> jwe

John,

I made one try to find H. J. Woltring, the author of the gcvspl code. I
received the following reply:
===================
Dear Dr. Koski,
I regret to tell you that Dr. Woltring died long ago in a traffic
accident. At the time at which this happened Dr. Woltring was not
affiliated with my University anymore. I have no idea where his computer
programs went. Neither have do I have any written material other than
what is published in Journals. Good luck to you; sincerely Rik Huiskes,
Ph.D.
====================
So I guess that gcvspl is a lost cause. I'll keep a copy with the octave
bindings for my use.

I thought we had this discussion a couple years ago.
The license note from Woltring was:

MEMO:                     GCVSPL software package

(C) COPYRIGHT 1985, 1986: H.J. Woltring
                         Philips Medical Systems Division, Eindhoven
                         University of Nijmegen (The Netherlands)

DATE:                     1986-05-12

NB: This software is copyrighted, and may be copied for excercise,
study and use without authorization from the copyright owner(s), in
compliance with paragraph 16b of the Dutch Copyright Act of 1912
("Auteurswet 1912"). Within the constraints of this legislation, all
forms of academic and research-oriented excercise, study, and use are
allowed, including any necessary modifications. Copying and use as
object for commercial exploitation are not allowed without permission
of the copyright owners, including those upon whose work the package
is based.

(It was included with gcvspl code in octave-forge)

I am not an expert on copyright law, especially on Dutch copyright law,
but I guess a case can be made that  University of Nijmegen
is a current copyright holder.

Joe

Sincerely,

Dmitri.

p.s. I have noticed that non-commercial clause is very popular in that
part of the world.