Re: Compiling octave with MSVC

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Compiling octave with MSVC
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:11:08 -0400

On 13-Oct-2006, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| John W. Eaton a écrit :
| > What is the purpose of
| >
| >   -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0403
| >

| Otherwise, InitializeCriticalSectionAndSpinCount (used in
| libcruft/misc/cquit.c)
| is not defined by MSVC headers. This is documented in MSDN.

I think we need some kind of feature test for this and it should be
defined in config.h, not on the compiler command line.

| > and what warnings are disabled by
| >
| >   +#pragma warning( disable : 4003 )
| >   +#pragma warning( disable : 4996 )
| >   +#pragma warning( disable : 4661 )
| >

| - missing parameters in macros
| - missing implementations in template instantiation (as template code is
| not always
| completely in the header, the compiler complains)
| - warning about deprecated function names, which should be now prefixed
| with an
| underscore (tempnam, strdup...)

OK, I added this much to the AH_BOTTOM macro in configure.in, but
maybe we should actually fix the problem with deprecated function
names instead of just ignoring the warning?  Can you enable this
warning and then send the warnings that are generated?

Thanks,