Re: Compiling octave with MSVC

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Compiling octave with MSVC
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:15:00 -0400

On 13-Oct-2006, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| John W. Eaton a écrit :
| > Your diffs have
| >
| >   -libcruft.$(LIBEXT): $(CRUFT_OBJ)
| >   +$(LIBPRE)cruft.$(LIBEXT): $(CRUFT_OBJ)
| >
| > Is it necessary to do things like this?  What problem does it solve?
| > Does the MS linker fail if the library name starts with lib?
| >

| MSVC linker does not fail, but this is for uniformity and to make it
| work easily with cccl
| when linking against libraries: if I leave the "lib" prefix in octave
| libraries, then
| 1) "-loctave" should be expanded into "liboctave.lib"
| 2) Win32 libraries does not have the "lib" prefix such that "-lkernel32"
| should be expanded
| into "kernel32.lib"
| To solve this problem and because MSVC libraries are usually not
| prefixed with "lib" like
| in the UNIX world, I made the library prefix configurable in the
| configure script. Hence my
| link commands can contain "-loctave -lkernel32" without any special
| handling.

OK, I extracted just the parts of your patch that solves this problem
and checked in the changes.

It would be helpful if in the future, you sent smaller patches that
address just one problem, along with an explanation of the problem
that the patch is solving.  That way they are much easier to evaluate
and have a better chance of being accepted.

Thanks,