Re: Second attampt at new octave-forge web site

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Second attampt at new octave-forge web site
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:02:41 +0200

Joe Koski wrote:
> on 10/16/06 2:05 PM, David Bateman at address@hidden wrote:
>

>> Dear All,
>>
>> Soren and I have been working to address the remaining issues on the
>> octave-forge website and the issues raised from our previous test site.
>> Please check http://octave.dbateman.org
>>
>> The changes we made include
>>
>> * The most noticeable change is that we changed the site from green to
>> blue, to make a clear distinction between the octave and octave-forge
>> sites. We also changed the sombrero logo to green. Neither Soren or I
>> are web designers, so any other thoughts would be appreciated on how to
>> address this request from John.
>>
>> * The front-page now has a "Recent News" heading. There is also a News
>> Archive that replaces the RELEASE-NOTES from the monolithic octave-forge.
>>
>> * The package page now uses javascript to hide the description, till the
>> package title is clicked. This allows a much denser list of packages
>>
>> * All of the webpages have been passed through http;//validator.w3.org
>> and the CSS file through http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/. There is
>> one remaining errors of the "text-align:" in the div#sf_logo section. If
>> you know a fix please tell?
>>
>> * The categories index has been made consistent, and alphabetically sorted
>>
>> * The package function references now contain only the functions in the
>> package itself listed alphabetically. The full categories index is still
>> available from the documentation page. This makes a clear distinction
>> between code in one package or another and those functions in octave itself
>>
>> * The tar-balls of the packages have the same sub-directory name as the
>> package itself.
>>
>> The problems that we know remain and don't propose to fix before a
>> release are
>>
>> * The GPC and graceplot packages have not been converted to the package
>> manager
>>
>> * The CSS file has the one remaining error discussed above
>>
>> * We really should move www/ to doc/htdocs to simplify the octave-forge
>> source tree and make the install on the website easier.
>>
>> Can you please suggest any further changes that you'd like to this site.
>> If there are no further comments, Soren and I propose to take the site
>> live later this week.
>>
>> Regards
>> David
>>

> David,
>
> First, let me say that I think that you and Soren are headed in the right
> direction with octave-forge. I think the new package scheme, once worked
> out, will be better for both users and maintainers.
>
> My initial comments here are in my role as the perfect analog for the
> average "dumber-than-snot" Mac user.
>
> For the record, this is with OS X 10.4.8, Xcode-2.4 developer tools, and
> octave-2.9.9 built with g95 on a G5 PowerPC Mac. This is the latest OS, but
> not the latest Intel machine.
>
> The first thing that I noticed was that Mac OS X has a habit of un-gzipping
> [...]

Joe,

I suspect this might be fixed in the CVS. Could you take the pkg
function from

http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/octave/scripts/pkg/pkg.m?rev=1.21;content-type=text%2Fplain

and use it instead to see if it helps? You'll also need

http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/octave/scripts/miscellaneous/compare_versions.m?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information