Re: Second attampt at new octave-forge web site

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Second attampt at new octave-forge web site
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:03:08 +0200

Joe Koski wrote:
> on 10/17/06 2:02 AM, David Bateman at address@hidden wrote:
>
>> Joe Koski wrote:

>>> David,
>>>
>>> First, let me say that I think that you and Soren are headed in the right
>>> direction with octave-forge. I think the new package scheme, once worked
>>> out, will be better for both users and maintainers.
>>>
>>> My initial comments here are in my role as the perfect analog for the
>>> average "dumber-than-snot" Mac user.
>>>
>>> For the record, this is with OS X 10.4.8, Xcode-2.4 developer tools, and
>>> octave-2.9.9 built with g95 on a G5 PowerPC Mac. This is the latest OS, but
>>> not the latest Intel machine.
>>>
>>> The first thing that I noticed was that Mac OS X has a habit of un-gzipping
>>> any downloaded file into a just plain .tar file. Yes, I could find the
>>> correct box to check or uncheck in the Finder preferences, but the average
>>> Mac user doesn't usually go there. Should pkg be smart enough to look at the
>>> extension? I know that .tar.gz has other alternates such as .tgz. Excuse me
>>> if you have already thought about all of this.
>>>
>>> As an initial test, I downloaded image-1.0.0.tar.gz from your test site,
>>> and, as I said, this immediately became image-1.0.0.tar. I moved the .tar
>>> file into a folder called /Downloads_and_Updates/octave-forge_packages and
>>> tried
>>>
>>>   pkg install image-1.0.0.tar
>>>
>>> but I got an error, so I gzipped it back into a .tar.gz and tried
>>>
>>>   pkg install image-1.0.0.tar.gz
>>>
>>> and I got pretty much the same errors:
>>>
>>> GNU Octave, version 2.9.9 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0).
>>> Copyright (C) 2006 John W. Eaton.
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> octave:1> pkg install image-1.0.0.tar.gz
>>> warning: You have not defined an installation prefix, so the following will
>>> be used: /Users/jakoski/octave/
>>> tar: image-1.0.0.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
>>> tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>>> warning: implicit conversion from scalar to string
>>> error: tar: tar exited with status =
>>>

>>> Octave was started in the same working directory as image-1.0.0.tar.gz.
>>>
>>> Then I tried help pkg, and noticed that it's not complete yet. How to fix
>>> this should probably be referenced somewhere in the final help package. I
>>> have no problem with the default location for the package of ~/octave.
>>>
>>> My first guess is that octave is having trouble with the Apple tar, but I
>>> can't confirm that. The irony is that on my old Mac, I had to type man
>>> gnutar to get the man file for tar, although tar -xvf etc. works just fine.
>>> On the new Mac OS, man tar works just fine, as does tar.
>>>
>>> One other issue. On Macs, to install files into /usr/local (which doesn't
>>> exist until the Mac user creates it), you must, typically, "sudo make
>>> install" and then enter your "administrator" password. Should there be a
>>> provision for installing into protected areas, or should that be left for
>>> only the more experienced users? Yes, you could also, like any *IX, log in
> [...]

It should be in untar.m rather than tar.m. However I don't see anything
there that should be the cause of the issue. Perhaps you need the
absolute path to tar. Could you try

pkg install <path_to_pkg>/image-1.0.0.tar.gz

and see if it helps... I'm at a loss to explain why you are seeing the
problem like this..

Regards
David