Re: untar.m on Solaris with non-GNU tar

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: untar.m on Solaris with non-GNU tar
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:20:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, John Swensen wrote:

I was trying to install octave-forge packages on a Solaris machine and kept getting a "tar: tape read error" and after digging found out that it is because the Solaris provided tar executable does not include the capability to gunzip *and* untar from a single 'tar' call. Would it be possible to split the gunzip and tar process into 2 calls to accomodate?

I'm working on something that will fix this.  It will use the command:

sprintf("(cd \"%s\"; gzip -d -c \"%s\" | tar -x -v)", directory, filename);

Bill

--
"As a Canadian who lived in the States for a year and a half, I have to
agree.  We may make fun of your beer, but it's sort of like an F student