RE: MSVC compiler support [patch 11]: CRUFT.DLL exported symbols

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: RE: MSVC compiler support [patch 11]: CRUFT.DLL exported symbols
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:50:08 -0400

On 26-Oct-2006, address@hidden wrote:

| > With this rule, it appears that an extra entry will be added to the
| > cruft.def file each time a file is compiled (it can happen more than
| > once if the object files are removed, or if the source file is
| > touched). Is that a problem? Perhaps we should instead create as
| > separate def file for each source file and then collect them all at
| > the end? Also, I don't see any rule to remove the cruft.def file.
|
| See attached patch for another proposal. It creates a .def file for each
| fortran file and concatenates everything at the end. The dependency on
| cruft.def is only active when the canonical host type contains msdosmsvc
| (this could also be moved to configure script by putting a @...@ tag
| for libraries dependencies).

OK, I installed a modified version of this patch.  My changes do not
assume a particular Fortran name mangling scheme, but instead use the
one found by configure.  Doing that complicated things a bit.  Since
it is fast and should no cause any harm on systems that don't need it,
I decided to always generate the cruft.defs file.  If this causes
trouble, then maybe we can arrange to disable it on the systems that
are affected.