MSVC compiler patches

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: MSVC compiler patches
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:43:03 -0400

I think I've responded to all the patches you sent.  Other than the
following, are there any issues remaining?  If you have all the
necessary tools

  * libglob.  At the moment, I'm leaning toward leaving this as an
    external dependency.  We can distribute the tar file that David
    Bateman sent alongside Octave if necessary.  If there are
    additional changes needed to build it with MSVC, then please post
    patches.

  * OCTAVE_HOME substitution.  We need to fix this for all the
    scripts, not just the octave_config_info function.  This is not a
    high priority for me at the moment because it isn't needed to
    actually make Octave work provided that you install it in the same
    location used to compile it.  Would it be reasonable to require
    that OCTAVE_HOME is set in the environment if Octave is installed
    in a directory tree other than the one specified at compile time?
    If so, should we expect users to do this by hand, or should we
    have a program that does it for them (modifies the registry?).

  * cccl.  I guess we need to include the modified script with
    Octave.  Maybe we should call it something else to avoid confusion
    with the version that is distributed from Source Forge?  Will you
    please add a comment in the script listing precisely the changes
    you made?  If you send that to me, I will add the script to the
    files we distribute.

  * A short guide to let people know what needs to be done to build
    Octave with MSVC.  I think it would help to have a list of exactly
    where to look for the compiler, which MSYS package(s) need to be
    installed, etc.

Thanks,