Re: On being Matlab

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: On being Matlab
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:33:51 -0500

On  1-Nov-2006, Tom Holroyd (NIH/NIMH) [E] wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
|
| > I wasn't aware that Octave was generating a lot of warnings about
| > Matlab incompatible code.
|
| warning: potential Matlab compatibility problem: " used as string delimiter
| warning: potential Matlab compatibility problem: # used as comment character
|
| I don't think these should be warnings. The potential problem doesn't exist.
|
| The "spew" I am getting is really because of a flaw in the .m code I work
with (sorry, I got carried away); for example,

|     warning('off', 'MATLAB:divideByZero');
|     out = sum(tmpin, dim) ./ sum(~isnan(in),dim);
|     warning('on', 'MATLAB:divideByZero');
|
| I had them off to start with. So setting them on in his code changes what I
want for the rest of the code. This is just an example, one of several. Is
there a way to turn warnings off permanently? (I know, fix the problem! Hmm,
nobody seems to want to do that.)

I still don't understand what is happening here.  The incompatibility
warnings should only be happening if the warning option for
Octave:matlab-compatibility is "on".  Is it?  If it is, how is that
happening?  Do you have

  warning ('on', 'all')

somewhere in your code?