[no subject]

From: michael . goffioul
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 10:04:20 +0100

> The -X option tells less to omit sending the termcap initialization
> and finalization strings to the terminal.  The reason it is included
> in the default options is that many Unixy termcap entries include
> escape sequences that cause the screen to be cleared when less starts,
> and then to restore the previous contents when it exits.  For a
> program like Octave, than can be fairly annoying.  I find it
> surprising that there is trouble if no intialization string is given.
> Is this perhaps a bug in the gnuwin32 version of less, or the terminal
> description that it uses?

It's not a bug, it's a feature :-)

Looking at Less code, it appears that the -X flag disable the terminal
initialization. This code is responsible for calculating the size of the
Windows console, storing the current console buffer, and so on.
When this flag is set, Less does not know about the console size and
does not restore the console state on exit. So it really looks like the
-X flag does not have the same meaning as in the UNIX version.

Michael.