Re: Threadsafe octave patch

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Threadsafe octave patch
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:21:26 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 20-Nov-2006, John Swensen wrote:

| Sure! That would be much better. Now I need a little help determining | the locations in the code to "lock" Octave.

I'm no threads expert (to me, threads were the cool clothes people
were wearing in the seventies) but I think you want to prevent
multiple threads from simultaneously accessing global data or calling
non-reentrant functions.  There are quite a few of these kinds of
objects in Octave.

jwe

Right. So I am simply trying to identify a points in the code that clearly denote when a command is/is not being run by octave. Octave would lock a mutex whenever it is executing *anything* and release the mutex when it when it is idle. I had previously identifies 2 places where the mutex release should occur, but haven't yet identified where the locking of the mutex should occur. Any suggestions on where to look for the code that is executed immediately after a carriage return at either the main prompt or the debug prompt?

John Swensen