RE: octave tools in C++ form

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: RE: octave tools in C++ form
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 12:46:02 -0500

On  7-Dec-2006, address@hidden wrote:

| Note that
| I wouldn't replace the existing shell scripts (at least for a while), which
| are is easier to develop and maintain anyway. This C++ version is really
| only useful under Win32 with no shell available.

If we are going to have the C++ version, I think we should use it on
all systems for consistency.  I think it will just be confusing if
mkoctfile does slightly different things on different platforms.

| I'm not sure yet what's the best option to share this part. I wouldn't
| like to make those tools dependent on octinterp library.

I suppose I would favor extracting the needed functions into a separate
file (or filess) that could be built as part of the Octave libraries
or just compiled into these extra programs.

| I'm using VI with out-of-the-box settings. What are those coding
| conventions?

Essentially the GNU coding standards.

| Is it possible for you to easily reformat the code?

Yes, I can do it, but I am already often the rate limiting step in
getting things into Octave, so if I have to do it, it just slows
things down further.