Re: graphics-branch in CVS

From: Timothée Lecomte
Subject: Re: graphics-branch in CVS
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 08:00:13 +0100

Joe Koski wrote:
on 12/7/06 4:27 PM, Timothée Lecomte at address@hidden wrote:

John W. Eaton wrote:
On  7-Dec-2006, Timoth�e Lecomte wrote:

| gnuplot 4.2 (rc2 available) has a way to determine that. It can be done
| with the read-only variables GPVAL_X_MIN and friends. Use 'show
| variables all' to see all the available state variables, and 'help
| gnuplot-defined' for more information.

OK, but we are communicating with gnuplot through a one-directional
pipe.  Do you have a reliable way to do two-way communication with
gnuplot?

jwe
Oh, I thought octave was using a two-way pipe, as it was pointed out
some time ago to get feedback from a click on the plot window.
If it's not the case, then I don't know...

Timothée

Timothée, John,

With the gnuplot-4.2.rc2 installed on my G5 Mac, I get the following from
Timothée's suggested commands:

Joe-Koskis-Computer:~/Codes/EMD Revised Convergence jakoski$ gnuplot

<...>
Terminal type set to 'aqua'
gnuplot> set font "helvetica,24"
gnuplot> show variables all
<...>
Note that my change of font and font size does not show in the output. How
would the "read-only" variables such as GPVAL_X_MAX be accessed from the
interface? Is there a one-to-one mapping from all gnuplot set commands to
the "read-only" variables?
Hi Joe,

For the font and font size command, you've been mislead by the flexibility of gnuplot parser. "set font" doesn't exist by itself, it's an abbreviation of "set fontpath' (try "show font" to be convinced, which will be expanded to "show fontpath").

Instead, you can set the global font and fontsize when setting the terminal:
   set terminal aqua font "helvetica,24"
or for each plot object separately, such as:
   set title "myplot" font "helvetica,24"

As for the GPVAL_X_MAX and friends, they appear once the plot command is issued (how would gnuplot know the axis limits without plotting and thus reading the data ?).

Best regards,

Timothée

Sorry if I've got the cart ahead of the horse with these questions.

Joe