Re: Pre-compiled octave for Windows

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Pre-compiled octave for Windows
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:40:53 +0100

Michael Goffioul wrote:

> Indeed. This is due to MinGW's "ln -s", which makes a copy of the file,
> instead of a symlink.
> Wouldn't be better to have real symlinks, instead of removing those
> files. Aren't some octave
> functions relying on such a name (for instance, mkoctfile.m calls
> "mkoctfile.2.9.9+" and not
> "mkoctfile")?

Scripts I don't care much about as they are small. But cruft.dll,
octave.dll etc are rather large and so I don't see a reason to keep both
about. I think you can dump one of each the three main dll. Also in the
bin/ dir there is an octinterp.dll whereas there is a different one in
the lib dir. One or the other should be distributed..

>> The GPL is a distribtion license and not a user license. You don't
>> need to accept it for it to be valid. If you don't accept it then
>> standard copyright laws apply and you have NO rights to distribution.
>> Therefore, the "I Accept" is completely redundant in the install.
>>

> I'm not an expert license. All GnuWin32 packages are done in the same
> way, so I followed
> the same process. I'll see if I can remove the "I Accept" step.

Its a quibble on my part in that I disagree with gnuwin32 also doing
this, and it'll change user perspective of the GPL in that it is
presented as a user license. The GPL only comes into play when you start
trying to give the code to someone else...

>> A question more that a comment. Where do the support libraries such as
>> hdf5 live? Are they bundled into octave.dll? Did you solve the issue
>> with atlas?
>>

> All support DLL' are in the "bin" subdirectory. Some of the support libs
> are statically linked
> into octave: mainly glob.lib and SuiteSparse. The MS runtime libraries
> lies in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS.

Ok, I see you split out blas/lapack though they appear to be netlib
versions. This'll make it easy to replace them in the future with
optimized versions....

Cheers
David