Re: Pre-compiled octave for Windows (update)

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Pre-compiled octave for Windows (update)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:14:12 +0100

Ihor Rokach a écrit :
Dear Mr. Goffioul,

First of all I would like to say you a big and sincere "thank you!" for your
extremely nice work for porting Octave to native win32 platform. In my
honest opinion it will be a very important step to make this program really
popular among simple mortals that simply are out of the Unix world.

I am going to use this version of Octave in my classes on numerical methods.

Nice to see it'll be used by someone else :-)

Now I am testing the program from this point of view. At the moment I have
noted only one important bug, connected with "famous":-) Octave-gnuplot
interaction. Namely, it looks like the Octave formats "x" variable passed in
plot(x,y) command using something like %8.4g format. If you run the script
attached, you will see the consequences of this operation for all x>1
(strange plot and a lot of warnings in the gnuplot screen). If the data is
stored to a text file and plotted by the gnuplot (see test.gp) the result is
the proper one.

This bug does not exist in the stable windows version of the Octave
(2.1.72).

I'm forwarding to the octave maintainer mailing list as I think this problem exists in any octave version. Looking at the code, this seems to be caused by the precision 4 used to output data for plotting (ls-oct-ascii.cc: save_ascii_data_for_plotting). Note that the graphics part of octave is in major rework for the moment and the CVS (on which my pre-compiled package is based)
is not really expected to work OK.

As an additional tool for your distribution of Octave, you may consider the
nice windows console (http://sourceforge.net/projects/console) which is
GPLed and works with Octave quite well (I am using the latest beta
2.00.129).

Thanks for the link. It looks interesting.

BTW, have you got any idea for a good windows texinfo-reader? Nice Qt
Assistant is included in the Octave Workshop distribution, however it is
quite bulky (all Qt dlls should be included).

No sorry. I had the idea to convert the octave documentation to CHM and use the regular help viewer of Windows: this is theoretically possible as .texi files can be converted into docbook and that there exist a CHM stylesheet in recent docbook releases. However, I couldn't make it work yet, there seems to be lots of errors in the docbook generated by
makeinfo (or I'm using incompatible packages, but I don't think so).

Michael.