Re: Approaching XML import/export

From: Alois Schloegl
Subject: Re: Approaching XML import/export
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 13:01:38 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 19:38:53 +0100
From: "Thomas Geiger" <address@hidden>
Subject: Approaching XML import/export
To: address@hidden

Hello list members,

first let me introduce myself quickly - my name is Thomas Geiger, currently
a CS student at the Vorarlberg University of Applied Sciences (
http://www.fhv.at).

By begin of February I'll start working on my diploma thesis which aims to
integrate GNU Octave into a grid environment (based on Globus Toolkit -
http://www.globus.org/toolkit/) and - as you could imagine - this road map
might also include XML support (read/write) for Octave.

Just my two cents on XML - after having taken a look at the XML threads of
this list, my favorite approach is 6 (a custom written parser,
http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?XML-tools-for-Octave).<http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?XML-tools-for-Octave>The
proposed solution would make use of a well performing parser like
expat
(benchmarks neet to be done on this choice), and follow 4 (geodise toolbox)
from a functionality point of view.  For an initial version I'd suggest to
stick on a Octave only format (validated by XSD), the import of other
formats/standards (also MatLab?) could be handled by usage of XSLT
transformations/further hacks later on (hopefully).

Important for me to know - is already someone working on this, otherwise I'd
like to - of course there needs to be some more detailed negotiation
regarding the features.

Hello Tom,

If you read http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?XML-tools-for-Octave , you see that Andy Adler was working on an expat-based approach, too. [10]. He posted a first version here
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2006-June/000315.html

I recommend reading the following discussion. Andy had also some more ideas about the output format see here: http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2006-June/000379.html I do not know whether the latest version of Andy's approach is somewhere available.

Andy, what is the status of your approach?

Alois

<mailto:octave-maintainers%40octave.org?Subject=XML%20tools%20for%20Octave&In-Reply-To=Pine.LNX.4.64.0606291320570.6572%40denney.homeip.net>