Re: octave-forge loadpath

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: octave-forge loadpath
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:58:59 -0500

On 12-Jan-2007, Bill Denney wrote:

| David Bateman wrote:
| > address@hidden wrote:
| >
| >> Hi all
| >>
| >> I have a problem with a row inside octaverc. The row below will
| >> cause an error
| >> while starting octave:
| >>
| >> LOADPATH=['/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9/site/oct/i686-pc-linux-
| >> gnu/octave-forge:/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.9/site/m/octave-
| >> forge//:',LOADPATH];
| >>
| > See the NEWs file
| >
| > http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/octave/NEWS?rev=HEAD
| >
| > D.
| John, et. al.
|
| What do you think about making files that just do something like
|
| function LOADPATH
| error("Octave internal variables have been removed in this version.
| Please see the NEWS file.")
| endfunction

We could do this for variables like LOADPATH that have been removed,
but not for the others that have been converted to functions.  I'm not
sure how many that is.  At least LOADPATH and IMAGEPATH.  Are there
others?  It will help with the case you show above, but unfortunately
it won't help people who just do things like

  LOADPATH = "~/octave:";

To warn for that sort of thing I think we would have to do some
checking in the symbol table, but I'm not sure it is worth the
overhead.