MSVC patch: export symbols in macros

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: MSVC patch: export symbols in macros
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:02:32 -0500

On 22-Dec-2006, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| I'd like to propose the (quite large) attached patch. The idea is to
| avoid hardcoding
| OCTAVE_API in various macros used in liboctave, and put this as an
| additional
| argument to the macros. This provides a more flexible system where
| macros can
| be used easily outside of liboctave. This problem popped up when trying
| to compile
| support for fixed point numbers from octave-forge: with OCTAVE_API hardcoded
| in the macros, it's impossible to compile it.

Do you see a way that we could do this without having to change all
the existing uses of these macros inside Octave?

I'm don't think I understand the rules for when to include OCTAVE_API
or not, so using these macros will likely lead to mistakes that won't
be caught by people who use systems that don't need the API
definitions.

Can you explain more completely what the problem was with compiling
the Octave Forge code?