Re: Autoloading of toolboxes?

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: Autoloading of toolboxes?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:20:05 +0100

Getting the "best" functionality into the hands of the end users, without them having to know all of the options, should be the priority. The warnings and detailed information should be easily accessible to developers and more advanced users, but I think that they should not be turned on by default. Using Octave is a bit complicated at the moment, with the different verions, o-f not always ready to use with various versions, etc. I think usability needs some attention in general, and that the issue of package loading should be approached with usability, for the average user, as the first priority.

From the perspective of making things simpler, I would suggest releasing ver. 3.0 as soon as possible, along with o-f. As long as the computations are correct, it's good enough to be released. Added features can go into the stable release, following the linux kernel model, or can be put into a future development version. It would be a nice change to have the stable release as the recommended version :-)