Re: Autoloading of toolboxes?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Autoloading of toolboxes?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:37:15 -0500

On 30-Jan-2007, David Bateman wrote:

| At the limit we could add a PKG_ADD statement to NaN, etc like
|
| ## PKG_ADD: warning("*** This toolbox shadows some existing core octave
| function ***");
|
| So that at the moment the user loads the package they are warned of the
| consequences...

We should allow users to disable the warnings, and the message should
mention the package name, otherwise it will not point to the source of
the conflicting functions.  So maybe

  ## PKG_ADD: warning ("Octave:shadow", "*** The NaN package shadows some
existing core Octave functions");

but I'm not sure that this would help.  At what point are the packages
loaded?  The load-path is initialized before the startup files are
executed, so if the package directories are added to the load-path
before the startup scripts are run, the user would have no chance to
disable the warning.