Re: Matlab central and octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Matlab central and octave
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 15:28:37 -0500

[Discussion moved from the help list]

With the package system for Octave, I can see the need for a
repository of contributed packages.  This repository could be hosted
at the Octave Forge site, but having a package available in the
repository should require that the package development is hosted at
Octave Forge.  Some people may prefer to have their package
development hosted elsewhere, or not even publicly available.

A prototype of the new Octave Forge site is here:

  http://octave.dbateman.org

Check the packages link for the current list of packages.  I think
the development of all these packages is currently hosted at the
Octave Forge site.  How difficult would it be to include "other"
packages that are not developed at the Octave Forge site in the new
package distribution page?  If we make that change, then perhaps there
should be a clearer separation between the collaborative development
site (Octave Forge) and the Octave package repository.  Perhaps then
people would begin to see Octave Forge as a collaborative development
site and not as the only way to make contributed code available.

In any case, I strongly agree with David that we need some people to
come forward and take on some of these kinds of tasks, otherwise it is
highly unlikely that anything will happen.