Re: Matlab central and octave

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Matlab central and octave
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 00:37:44 -0800 (PST)

So I took a look at the link http://octave.dbateman.org (2 packages - optim &
parallel).
First of all, am I right that all your Octave optimization toolbox consist
just from 1 function - gls?
This seems to be so when I see your link
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Optimization.html#Optimization
3 subsections -
# Linear Programming
# Quadratic Programming
# Nonlinear Programming
are empty and only 1 contains of gls. (I was seeking MATLAB linprog() analog
for my needs). So, am I right or wrong?
Next, at http://octave.dbateman.org I counted 5-6 solvers for nonsmooth
unconstrained (UC) optimization and 7-8 for smooth unconstrained - and
almost nothing for constrained (first of all I speak about fmincon analog).
I would say this amount of UC solvers is funny if it wasn't so sad. Even
MATLAB has just 1 UC smooth solver (fminunc), 1 constrained (fmincon), 1
nonsmooth (fminsearch).
Moreover, calling sintax differs too much, it requires for users to rewrite
it very much, while trying these solvers. So, if users (as a rule, students
with their homework) will send each month 1 more UC solver, will you include
them to octave-forge? Even if it will be 0.5% better than all other?
What about parallel toolbox - 2 funcs from 9 are undocumented (+some
undocumented funcs in optim). dfeval() analog - the firstest thing to
implement - is absent (I mean with same calling syntax y= dfeval(fun, x)).
So I'm absolutely agree with Soren hierarchy proposition, and that "it
requires contact with other human beings, which can be scary and takes
time." So users must initially prove octave-forge workers that their code is
actual & well-done. But what, for example, about some aerospace of medicine
m-file routines? who will check that they are essential & have enough
quality to be not just students homework? Or contain some bugs, yielding
wrong results? And what users should do - waste time for connecting their
code to octave-forge routines, trying to determing, does it good enough to
rely or no? And if there are some good ratings and reviews at matlab
filexchange area, users download only those (from large amount of students
homework) and are sure that it should be tried.
Also, it must include system of ratings, reviews and feedback. It will
demand some efforts for creating this web-interface only 1st time. Switching
Octave programmists to the job is not nesesary - you may hire for very small
money someone at GetAFreelancer.com or Scriptlance.com or any other
freelancer's site - doesn't matter, they are connected with each other.
WBR, D.