Re: 2.9.10, finally?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 2.9.10, finally?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 20:16:54 -0500

On  7-Feb-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| Not just __gnuplot_raw__.  It's nice to have the flexibility to
| tweak a plot by issuing that command just before a plot() command,
| by setting some parameter that normal handle graphics may not
| access.

No, that won't work.  To properly implement compatible graphics,
Octave must know the entire state of the plot and have complete
control over it.  Everything must be in the propery list.

| I think there are a few things gnuplot can offer that
| normal handle graphics can't.

Yes, it will likely always be true that the feature set of gnuplot and
Octave/Matlab graphics is not a one to one match.  If you want to use
all the features of gnuplot, then you will have to control it
directly.

It also appears that there are some Matlab graphics features that are
impossible to implement with gnuplot.  For example, how do you
reliably specify marker types, and are all the marker types that are
available in Matlab available in gnuplot?  What about lines a dash-dot
style and with arbitrary colors?