Re: 2.9.10, finally?

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: 2.9.10, finally?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 02:25:36 -0600

Bill Denney wrote:
Daniel J Sebald wrote:

John W. Eaton wrote:

But this is terminal dependent, isn't it?  If we use X11 resources as
a way to  control line appearance, it might look great on the screen
but the line style won't show up in a PostScript, PDF, or png file.  I
doubt that users will be happy about that.

No doubt on that one. Consistency between terminals has been discussed. There is a lot of reluctance to changing long standing behavior. I think the only way to get consistency would be to define strings like "triangles", "squares", "diamonds", etc. But even that idea was lukewarm because it may be that not all named sybols (line types) could be supported.

Wouldn't it be simple enough to throw an error saying "triangles are not supported on postscript terminals" or something similar?

It's simple enough, but I don't think gnuplot developers would go for anything
short of a full implementation for the major terminals, whether that means
substituting something very close or having to put a little work into creating
the symbol by hand if need be.

Dan