Re: Proposal XML Toolbox for Octave

From: Thomas Geiger
Subject: Re: Proposal XML Toolbox for Octave
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 10:07:24 +0100

Hello Andy,

yes sometimes even life is able to keep one being busy ;)

1. I can't find any license for XMLtoolbox. If you're planning to
      use their code, then this is essential to know. If you simply
      want to be compatible, then that is less of an issue, but
      it would still be nice to use their documentation.

They release just p-code which is accessed by m-files, so everything will be written from scratch.
Regarding the documentation - it depends how compatible we will be, especially the generic
import may see an improved way to do it.
It think the main point is that we provide almost the same API, so users who switch to Octave
find it comfortable, also there should be at least one format that both Matlab and Octave share.

2. I quite like the format of the XMLtoolbox output. I just have a few issues:

     - if each tag is converted into an identifier, how does
       it handle XML like <é- ï$="1" />?

Honestly, I've never seen such element tag in an XML before, and as far as I understand XML,
it should be a human readable format. Do you have an example for this?

     - the converted format is slightly non-unique. The following
       XML files will  parse identically:

       (this is probably not a big deal, and I can suggest a small
        modification to fix it)

Assuming the XML is well-formed (otherwise the parser will reject it), it shouldn't be a problem.

The other thing is what will happen with the b in:

Am I missing something?

3. I would very much like to see a parser that accepts an XPath
     statement to only parse a part of a file. It may be possible
     to add this later.

Xerces-C just implements parts of XPath which are necessary to handle schemas.
For fully supprt Xalan-C ( http://xml.apache.org/xalan-c/) might be an option, there's
lots to think about regarding this and as you mention it could be added in a later version.

So far, so good,
tom