packaging aesthetics

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: packaging aesthetics
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:33:37 -0500

I find I'm bothered by the packaging directory structure since it doesn't feel natural to me.

I would prefer a system which captures the 90%+ case easily, which is a set of m-files with a few decorations to tell the packaging system what the package contains. In Debian, the package information is in subdirectory, which allows it to be easily added to an existing package. This makes it particularly easy for those with existing Matlab packages to add support for Octave, assuming various other compatibilities are not a concern. It also allows the packaging to be done by someone other than the developer. Keeping the compiled wrappers, supporting libraries, documentation and so on are separated from the rest would probably be best, but the impact of these is small so it doesn't matter much either way.

Of course since I'm not offering up any patches this message should be given the weight it deserves 8-)

        - Paul