Re: pkg netlist

From: Bob Weigel
Subject: Re: pkg netlist
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:34:15 -0500

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 17:41, David Bateman wrote:
> Bob Weigel wrote:
> >> I had an issue with the idea of the pkgget command. Sourceforge requests
> >> that all downloads go through a specific interface rather than directly
> >> to one of the mirrors. They request this so that file download
> >> statistics are correct. So this means that yes you will be able to go to
> >> one of the mirror to get a package like
> >>
> >> http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/octave/signal-1.0.0.tar.gz
> >>
> >> but Sourceforge doesn't like you to do it. Until recently you couldn't
> >> wget the package download page to get the package, but it appears they
> >> have fixed this issue and so running wget on
> >>
> >> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/octave/signal-1.0.0.tar.gz?download
> >>

> >>From the command line
> >
> > curl -L
> > "http://downloads.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge-2006.07.09.tar.gz?d
> >ownload"
> >
> > works.  If -L is dropped it does not work. (-L essentially enables
> > "following of redirects"). As you mentioned wget works using the
> > sourceforge-preferred URL
> >
> > wget
> > "http://downloads.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-forge-2006.07.09.tar.gz?d
> >ownload"
> >
> > I don't have urlwrite.oct compiled on my machine, but I am assuming that
> > you tried it on yours and it failed.  However, based on the fact that
> > Octave uses the curl library, I think it is a matter of finding the
> > switch in the source code to tell curl to follow redirects.
> >
> > Bob
>
> I added code to the octave-forge CVS to create a file with the MD5 sum
> of all of the package files and add it to the website. I've uploaded it
> to the test website in
>
> http://octave.dbateman.org/packages.md5
>
> You should be able to use this file to identify the new packages and
> check the integrity of downloaded files. This would be easier if the
> m5sum function I sent earlier today was in octave :-)

Ok.  I'll revise pkglist.m accordingly.  If md5 is not available in Octave, I
can use a system call.  The only thing left is to add the nofollow option to
urlwrite.cc.  I have not had a chance to test this, but I think it is only a
matter of adding the following at line 152 in urlwrite.cc:

    curl_easy_setopt (curl, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 1);

Bob