Re: warnings

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: warnings
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:27:06 +0100

Daniel J Sebald wrote:

> Oh, OK.  So I'm learning now about packages.  Some comments:
>
> *  Listing pkg in the "help -i" documentation would be nice, or a
> "package" entry in the concepts portion of "help -i".
Yes the documentation is out of date and must be fixed before 3.0. I'm
sure help in the form of patches would be greatly appreciated.

> *  Typo in "help pkg":  "Different actions will be taking depending
> on..." should have "taken" rather than "taking".
Ok fixed...

> *  When I launch Octave from root (su) I get no such list of messages.

Probably the pkg is only installed as the user.. Type "pkg list" as the
user and root and see what packages are installed and where..

> *  From either su or non-su I get:
>
> octave:1> pkg uninstall miscellaneous
> error: Some of the packages you want to uninstall are not installed.
> error: evaluating if command near line 506, column 9
> error: evaluating if command near line 505, column 5
> error: called from `pkg:uninstall' in file
> `/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.9+/m/pkg/pkg.m'
> error: evaluating switch command near line 168, column 5
> error: called from `pkg' in file
> `/usr/local/share/octave/2.9.9+/m/pkg/pkg.m'
> octave:1>
>

>From the messages you appear to have octave forge installed. How did you
do this? If it is from one of the earlier monolithic octave-forges, type
"which units" which is also part of the miscellaneous package. Then go
to the same directory as this function and remove the PKG_ADD file. Note
as a side effect this will also mean the "edit" will no longer be marked
as a command.

> *  Actually, I don't think the "miscellaneous" aspect of it is the
> issue as I'm seeing 200/300 of these messages with a variety of
> packages and functions such as
> warning: autoload: not replacing existing entry for purge_tmp_files =>
> /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9+/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/__gnuplot_raw__.oct

Then I definitely suspect that you have a monolithic version of
octave-forge and that many of the functions you are talking about have
been merged with octave itself...

> Well, the question is why am I getting these messages only when from
> non super user mode?  OK, I think I've found what the issue is.  In my
> .octaverc are a couple "path" commands.  In fact, this one is enough
> to illustrate the issue:
>
>  path('~/octave/', path);
>
> ~/octave is where I place all the routines I'd like to override the
> existing version of functions.  What's disconcerting is that, if I
> understand correctly, it now is not possible to override existing
> definitions of functions. (?)
Actually, yes this is a good point. Autoload should replace existing
entries rather than leaving them pointing to the old files. Otherwise a
package that overloads functionality of octave might find itself with a
mix of their own and octaves normal functions being used. John, what do
you want to do about this?

David

> Dan

[x] General Business Information