Re: warnings

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: warnings
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:28:55 -0500

On  2-Mar-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| * Actually, I don't think the "miscellaneous" aspect of it is the
| issue as I'm seeing 200/300 of these messages with a variety of
| packages and functions such as
|
| warning: autoload: not replacing existing entry for purge_tmp_files
| =>
| /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9+/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/__gnuplot_raw__.oct
|

| Well, the question is why am I getting these messages only when from
| non super user mode?  OK, I think I've found what the issue is.  In
| my .octaverc are a couple "path" commands.  In fact, this one is
| enough to illustrate the issue:
|
|   path('~/octave/', path);
|
| ~/octave is where I place all the routines I'd like to override the
| existing version of functions.  What's disconcerting is that, if I
| understand correctly, it now is not possible to override existing
| definitions of functions. (?)

The message

  warning: autoload: not replacing existing entry for purge_tmp_files =>
  /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9+/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/__gnuplot_raw__.oct

means that a second

  autoload ("purge_tmp_files", "some_file.oct")

command has been found.  The first one found is still used, so this
warning means that the file

  /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9+/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/__gnuplot_raw__.oct

is not used as the file to find the function purge_tmp_files.  Yes, I
agree that the warning message is not clear and needs to be fixed.

Are you really overloading several hundred functions that are
autoloaded or do you have the path set in a way that causes the same
PKG_ADD files to be loaded more than once?