Re: package manager patch + problem

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: package manager patch + problem
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 22:16:21 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On  2-Mar-2007, David Bateman wrote:
>
> | That might be addressed with something like
> |
> | autoload("glog",file_in_loadpath("gf.oct")[1]);
> |
> | In any case we should decide on one way of doing it and it appears that
> | "which" isn't the right way due to the issue of unloading DLL's under
> | windows..
>
> The autoload function is supposed to link a function name to a
> specific file.  The name of the file should not depend on searching
> the loadpath.

Then in that case the only thing that makes sense is what you did for
the autoloads in octave itself as the call to mfilename() will return
the name of the PKG_ADD file in which the function we want to link to is
located. There really is no other choice.

> Maybe we should just eliminate autoload and allow only one function to
> be defined in a file (.m or .oct), and no functions on the command
> line and no functions in script files.  Then we gain complete
> compatibility and everything is simple to understand etc.  :-/

I had to read that twice to realize it was a joke. What a horrible idea...

D.