Re: mesh handles not working?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: mesh handles not working?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 15:15:00 -0500

On  7-Mar-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > All the files that use the globals directly are generated
| > automatically from the corresponding .in files.  But anyway, those are
| > all going away in favor of managing the properties in C++.  Doing all
| > of that bookkeeping in the scripting language was a noble experiment,
| > but I think the "Matlab language" is just not up to the task.
|
| If it weren't so slow.  Just curious why it is slow.  Does it have
| to do with cells?  Lock/unlock?

For one thing, there is no good way to manage "include" files that are
necessary to avoid duplicating the global statements in many files.
Using a script file is really slow, which is why I decided to build
the .m files that used the globals to avoid script files and so the
global statements would appear in only one source file.  But that's a
kluge, and then managing resources is just painful.  Maybe it would
help to have classes but without destructors and references, I'm not
sure it would really help for this job.

| BTW, there is a user who submitted to the graphics list about
| surface plots.  Is there surface plots?  (I know it isn't
| implemented because I don't see the proper commands in
| __uiobject_draw_axes__.m.)  Or is mesh() all there is?

First, the graphics list is dead (maybe we should actually disable
it).  Discussions about development should happen on the maintainers
list.

Second, the graphics list was never intended as a place for getting
help.  Please tell people who post on that list asking for help to use
the help list instead.