Plotting package in Java

From: michael . goffioul
Subject: Plotting package in Java
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:23:40 +0100

Hi,

Some time ago, I mentionned the possibility to develop a plotting backend for
octave, written in Java, using the Java/Octave integration package available
in octave-forge. These last few days, I gave it a try, by taking the Graphics
package from JMathLib (which I improved quite a lot) and building a simple
octave layer on top of it. I could then quickly get something that is already
pretty usable. You can see a demo screenshot in attachment.

Now, I'm facing a few issues:
1) I do it mainly for fun and for my personal use; if I want to make it more
complete and robust, I'd probably need some help; so if anybody is interested,
please standup
2) the octave layer I wrote doesn't re-use code from octave's current plot
package, but it could probably do it; the problem is that it's not obvious
where's the separation line between generic code and backend-specific
code; is it possible to make this separation clearer, for instance by using
separate directories? This would clearly exposes the functions that need
to be overloaded.

My current code is not "handle-based" yet, because I focused on the Java
implementation. Turning it into handle-based graphics shouldn't be difficult
because of the OO-nature of Java (and the implementation). The current
features are:
- 2D/3D plots (3D are only "transparent" meshes, it's not full 3D surfaces)
- markers and line styles like in Matlab
- basic text layout (with subscript and superscript)
- subplot support
- printing support

There are still lot of bugs and missing features; that's why I'm asking
for some help. If people is interested in this package, I might post the
code somewhere.

Bye,
Michael.