Re: Octave Central (or something like that)

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Octave Central (or something like that)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 22:30:49 -0500

On Mar 8, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

I believe drupal should be able to do most of what we want out of the box, but it doesn't come for free. Drupal requires more from the server than static html pages. It's based around PHP and MySQL so it has some performance requirements. Do we have access to a server that can provide PHP and MySQL? If not, then I don't think we can create a "Octave Central".

Hosting Drupal on sourceforge is apparently possible:

   http://starkos.industriousone.com/drupal_on_sourceforge

Ability to upload/download packages is a minimum. Anything else is optional.

Some desirable features:

* Signed packages.
* Author email associated with each package (though not necessarily visible). * Only authors/administrators can update/remove packages --- we can avoid passwords if package updates are confirmed by email. * Issue tracking is useful so long as it is simple, and the submitter doesn't have to have an account. * A talk page for each package might be enough, particularly if it is echoed to the author email address.
* Ratings aren't that useful.
* Download statistics might be nice.
* Tags would be good, particularly as the number of packages grows. To make tags more useful, users should have to choose from a tag list. Creating new tags should be difficult.
* Precompiled binaries for Windows and OS X.
* Online package docs and source browsing --- make it easy to decide whether a package is worth downloading.