Re: tmp gets full when plotting many images

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: tmp gets full when plotting many images
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:27:12 -0500

Daniel J Sebald wrote:
John W. Eaton wrote:

On 26-Mar-2007, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| When plotting many images (i.e. showing a movie) I run out of disc | space, because the plotting system doesn't seem to be cleaning up after | itself as long as Octave still running. Can we make the system delete | tmp files when they are no longer needed?

We eliminated tmp files for lines and surfaces.  I don't know of a way
to eliminate them for images.

Well, there is nothing unique really about image data in terms of transfer. I just assumed that sending large images as ASCII data through a pipe isn't efficient. So there is that possible change that would solve the persistent temp files issue.

This could be improved perhaps by utilizing the fact that data through the pipe can now also be binary. (I doubt there are any pipes out there that restrict data to 7 bits, ASCII, rather than 8 bits.) Let me know if you want to try this approach.

Oh yeah, there is an example of this in the gnuplot demos.  It is titled:

set title "Binary data specified at the command line, intended for use through
pipe"

in the file image2.dem:

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_4.3/image2.html

(I would copy the whole thing, but because there are 56 bytes of binary data, I can't send it through email.)

Dan