Re: Stem update, rough guess.

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Stem update, rough guess.
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 23:31:31 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On  9-Apr-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| Well, that's kind of strange then.  The creation of the baseline can't be in
| stem.m using "line()" because the "set" of
| | > h = stem (-10:10);
| >   set (h, 'basevalue', 3);
| | comes after the stem.m. stem.m would have to pass a handle to set.m somehow and
| that would make no sense.

I don't understand what you mean.  The handle returned by stem is a
stemseries object that has both basevalue (default == 0) and baseline
(a line object with xdata set based on the data passed to stem and
ydata set to the value of basevalue).  If you change the basevalue
property, the baseline property is also changed.  This is not a unique
situation as there are other dependent properties.  For example,
changing xlim implies that xlimmode is changed to "manual".

Basically that is what I meant. It's "basevalue" that creates the line. There is no way to make this work by stem.m calling line(). That line and its handle must be created somewhere else, which is tricky if somehow that handle ends up in the list of handles that stem() returns. Maybe "set (h, 'basevalue', #)" returns a handle? I don't know. Not important right now.

Thanks also for sending the ChangeLog entry, though it is best if you
send that separately instead of as a diff because diffs for ChangeLog
entries rarely apply automaticlly (there are almost always intervening
changes that make the context invalid or the date needs to be changed,
etc.).

Yeah, I know. OK, when I attach a patch I'll put the ChangeLog entry at the very end.

Dan